– Create an awareness amongst both medical schools and students alike about the current issues facing medical students from a mental health perspective
– Create knowledge amongst students about where to seek support for themselves or a classmate going through a Mental Health issue
– Create a facility for AMSI to give feedback from students to the Medical Schools about current issues facing Medical Students and their Mental Health –> Online anonymous survey of students to achieve improved services for students in their Medical School. This is not a research survey as results will only be released to the respective School of Medicine with the aim of allowing the School to see what improvements students would like made. Sole question will be “What can your Medical School do better” (in the context of Mental Health)
– Create an information guide for students ***(1st Year/Freshers Survival Guide) & ***(Placement Survival Guide) containing resource directory (PDF)
All of these points aim to increase knowledge amongst the various target groups of the prevalence of Mental Health Issues amongst Medical Students and as such can serve as a mechanism to minimise stigma around the issue. (This is in line with the IFMSA report saying that 60% NMOs reported a lot of stigma on the issue, 40% reporting only “some”)
Week timeline of the Activity:
Monday: Publishing printed articles from Medical students who want to share their personal experiences of Mental Health difficulties (minimise stigma, increase awareness, allow students to discover what services were available for peers who had difficulties)
Tuesday: Two-part workshop/talks held in each of the 7 AMSI Local Committees.
Part 1: Communication workshop/skills and discussions on common challenges faced during students journeys through Medical School
Part 2: Mental Resilience Workshop and Talk on what to do should you or a peer become mentally unwell.
(Empowering students to help manage their own and their peers’ mental health while receiving expert advice on how to manage acute/chronic mental illnesses)
Thursday: Interview with a student who will tell of their difficulties with their Mental Health while studying Medicine and how they have managed and overcome them.
(minimise stigma, increase awareness, allow students to discover what services were available for peers who had difficulties)
Saturday: Online Webinar with Dr. Zeshan Qureshi from “The Unofficial Guide to Medicine” discussing how he has managed his struggles with his Mental Health. Further, he will be addressing issues raised by students throughout the week and will be answering questions posed by students live during the Webinar.
(minimise stigma, increase awareness, allow students to discover what services were available for peers who had difficulties, Empowering students to help manage their own and their peers’ mental health while receiving expert advice on how to manage acute/chronic mental illnesses)
Area of Activity
Improve current services offered by the Universities for their Medical students, improving ease of access to those services and the number of students engaging with those services. Measured by: Survey – “What could your Medical School do better?” (sole question – no ethical approval required)…and whether changes actually take place/planned.
– A two part evening workshop for students. Part 1 – communicating their feelings about their course/stresses that they may be feeling (combined with a communication workshop) BREAK Part 2 – Mental Resilience/talk on Mental Health problems that students (If you can’t stop the waves then learn how to surf”)…optional donations can be made by participants to Pieta House. Measured by: Qualititative and Quantitative measures…expressions of how effective the workshop was, numbers attending etc (addressed further in evaluation section)
– Active input from students telling their stories related to Mental Health (PRINT) – Google Form… Measured by: Number of respondents, number of people reached with posts on various platforms.
– “An interview with Medical Students who have been treated for their Mental Health” (number of people reached – stigma reducing measure)
– “Medical Student Mental Health – with Zeshan Qureshi” – Youtube Live Webinar. (Number of people engaged/viewed)
Time frame of the Activity
30/01/2017 – 05/02/2017
Mental Health – email@example.com
Kevin McMahon – firstname.lastname@example.org